Harry Kane has reportedly told Daniel Levy to stick to their ‘gentleman’s agreement’ and allow him to leave Tottenham for Man City this summer.
The 28-year-old wants to exit his boyhood club in order to fulfil his ambition to win trophies and did not turn up to Spurs’ training ground as expected earlier this month, though later insisted he had not refused to train in a strongly-worded statement.
Now, further information is being reported about the situation.
According to the Telegraph, Kane feels Levy has reneged on a promise which he claims was made at the end of the 2019/20 season and confirmed he would be able to leave Spurs if they underachieved in 2020/21.
They report that sources close to the England captain have said he is frustrated and believes he should be allowed to join Manchester City as the result of this ‘gentleman’s agreement’.
Those close to Kane insist he was told by Levy that Spurs would ‘go all out’ to win a trophy and qualify for the Champions League – with the understanding that, if this did not happen, he could leave.
In 2020/21, Tottenham were once again trophyless and finished seventh in the league.
It is understood that City’s current bid for Kane is worth a total of £125million.
However, Levy is said to be ‘refusing to sell’ and ‘no longer accepting calls’ from the champions.
Kane has been named in Tottenham’s 25-man squad to face Pacos de Ferreira in their Europa Conference League play-off on Thursday, but is not expected to make the trip to Portugal.
It’s believed this relates to his fitness after he returned late for training.
The saga surrounding his return is also understood to have frustrated Kane, who reportedly insists he’d been given an extended holiday by the club and is disappointed they did not clarify this publicly.
Regardless of the various disputes, it’s said he will make himself available for Spurs selection if a deal is not completed to take him to Man City within the remaining two weeks of the summer transfer window.